Monday, May 16, 2011

Where did the eggs go? Continuation of Egg Retrieval Post

According to Dr. Buyalos, 1 in 200 women going through IVF can ovulate early, despite the meds which are supposed to prevent this from happening. I'd used ganirelix. He also said that in his 20 years of practicing, this has never happened to any of his patients. I guess I had to be the first.


When I woke up from the retrieval (still sedated) and received the news, I was obviously very upset. We only had one frozen embryo from our first cycle. The whole reason we decided to go through another full cycle was in the hopes we would have extra embryos to freeze. This was not going to happen.


Dr. B devised a plan- he would thaw out our one frozen embryo and transfer it with the two fresh ones collected from this cycle. He was debating whether he would transfer the frozen one first followed by the fresh ones a few days later, or if he would transfer all three at once.


Dr. B. made a promise to us- if this cycle did not work, they would fully cover a third cycle and meds. Of course this helped relieve worrying about how we would pay for a third fresh (IVF) cycle. In my mind, I also remember thinking, "What if only one takes?". We would be blessed with one, but unable to afford IVF again for future siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment