Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Power of A Support System

I can't stress enough how important it is to have emotional support throughout the infertility journey.


I have a very dear friend named Lora who is a Christian. I met Lora through her mother, Elaine. Elaine and I used to work together, and I became close with both of Elaine's daughters, Leah and Lora. My family is over 3,000 miles away. Their family welcomed me into theirs and have always included us in family gatherings. Lora is a LVN and also did one of my HCG trigger shots for me during my last IUI. At Christmas 2010, Lora and I sat together on the sofa chair and chatted. Lora was due to deliver her fourth baby in February. Lora knew we were getting ready to try IVF. The words that came out of Lora's mouth, stunned me.Lora told me that she had almost been a surrogate for another couple, but had decided not to for various reasons (which I can't share here). Lora told me that if David and I needed it, she would be a surrogate for us.  She said she wouldn't ask for the huge fees that surrogates tend to cost. All I can say is, "Wow!"  I told her how lucky we are to have her in our lives.

During our first IVF, Lora had been praying so hard for us and had asked her friends to pray as well. The day before the pregnancy test, she had also posted on facebook asking her friends to pray for a friend of hers.


My sister-in-law, Lisa, although quite a distance away, has been my other biggest support. She seems to always know what to (or what not to) say, called and texted often during my 2ww. She always told me how since she and my brother have two boys, I am going to be the one to have a little girl.



Then there is a person who probably has no idea what a support she has been to me throughout this process- my work colleague, Tammy. You see, we work on a team together, but since there are only two of us, we call ourselves "Two Peas in a Pod". During last Halloween, we even made a pumpkin dislay for the work contest. Tammy also tells me she is praying for us. Prior to our first IVF, she gave me a small egg-shaped purple note pad for "good luck". When we found out the first IVF didn't work, Tammy gave me a card which read, "Don't worry, sweetpea. You will have your own little pea in a pod soon".


My nephew Ben wishing for a cousin:



My dear friend Tammy  gave me this card after my first failed IVF cycle. I hope to share good news with her soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment