Sunday, July 10, 2011

CVS Exam- Take Two

On 07/07, David and I drove down to Cedars Sinai for our second attempt at CVS. Because of LA traffic, we left even earlier and got there at 3:00 for a 3:30 appt. By 4:30, I had still not been called back. One of the receptionists came and told us it would be approximely another 30 minutes. Apparently, Dr. Williams was having a difficult time performing CVS on a woman pregnant with twins. Of course I couldn't be angry. Nevertheless, all that waiting heightened my anxiety about the procedure.

5:00 came and we were taken back to the procedure room. My vitals were taken and a sonogram was performed. Baby's measurements were good- one scan showed 11w1d. The hr was also in the 160s. Dr. Williams came in and explained in detail what he would be doing. It was much like a pap smear, just much more uncomfortable. I think part of the discomfort natually comes from having a baby inside and worrying about the baby. David was by my side, and I held his hand tightly.

The procedure itself did not take very long. I was relieved when it was over. Following doctor's orders, I spent the next day on bed rest. Our dogs were great company, and Lucy never left my side. On Saturday, I went to work at the hospital. I wasn't feeling well, began to have nausea. When I went to the bathroom, I noticed blood. I thought taking a break and eating lunch may help, but it didn't. So, I ended up going home early.  Once at home, David looked at the blood sample and felt it was okay (based on the discharge sheet- which states a small amount of dried blood is normal). The nausea eventually dissipated.

On Sunday I still had some mild bloody discharge. Again, I spent a lot of time resting. We did end up going to a late afternoon movie with friends.

I don't know if I would do the CVS exam again. The procedure was very uncomfortable and stressful. The recovery was also very unpleasant. Our preliminary blood work and tests were good. I am hoping the final results will be good as well. On a positive note, it will be nice to find out the baby's gender in less than two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment