Monday, May 23, 2011

Waiting for the HCG Blood Test

After the embryo transfer was completed, I scheduled my HCG blood test for Monday, May 16th. David had a long planned trip to Vegas with his best friend, Paul, and would be gone from Friday, May 13th until Tuesday, May 17th. Knowing that David would be out of town when the results came in, I struggled with whether I would tell him the news ahead of time of not. I am not the best at keeping big secrets (especially if they are really good).

If it was bad news, I didn't want to ruin the rest of David's trip.  And, he wouldn't be able to comfort me. If it was good news, I wouldn't be able to see his face when he found out.  And, I'd always wanted to give him some sort of surprise in person if it was good news.

On Saturday, May 14th I woke up very early- around 4am. I couldn't sleep. Looking in the mirror, I noticed my boobs looked really large (especially the nipples). I tried to fall back asleep, but I couldn't. I decided to take the dogs on a long walk. This definitely helped, and I was able to go back to sleep.

I woke up again around 9:30am. I had two pregnancy test sticks left and kept goiong back and forth, "Do I go ahead and test?" Around 11am, I finally gave in. I remember thinking to myself, "If it's bad news, I'd rather just get it over with." The last time, the nurses had called me at work around 1pm. With the bad news, I had to struggle through another 3 hours of work.

So, I sat down and did the test.  Like many times before, I never expected to see the test turn. I couldn't believe my eyes- literally within 1 minute, two double lines appeared. This was 2 days before my scheduled HCG test, and the lines were dark and strong!! 

I remember hugging and kissing my dogs. I wanted to call David so badly, but I knew if I held off, it would all be worth it in the end.

In David's absence, my friend Lora had been doing my nightly progesterone injections. Lora also knew my HCG test wasn't scheduled for two days.  She knew that a Monday night injection was dependent on a positive pregnancy result. I was filled with excitement and called Lora. It was so nice to share the news with someone who I knew had been rooting for us all along. I could hear her get teary-eyed.

The next step was to plan David's surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment