Friday, May 13, 2011

Acupuncture

After the first failed IVF attempt, I decided to try acupuncture. My first appointment was on Saturday, 04/10/2011. Prior to our second egg retrieval, I went 2x a week for a total of seven sessions. I also started a mix of herbs (which I ran by Dr. B. before starting) and took them up until 5 days before the egg retrieval.
I mentioned the acupuncture to the nurses, and they told me that acupuncturists will often come to the transfer and administer acupuncture right before and immediately following the transfer. They also referred me to a local acupuncturist in the area, since we live 55 miles away. The cost- $500! I couldn't believe it.  Neither could David, so he called to try to negotiate a lower rate. They explained that the fee covers blocking one acupuncturist's schedule for several hours, so they are available. I also called my acupuncturist. He had never done this before and wanted to charge $400. David and I talked it over and decided $500 sounded reasonable for an acupuncturist who specializes in infertility.
Acupuncture has been shown in some studies to affect the levels of pituitary and ovarian hormones. The most immediate possible effect is that acupuncture served to "relax" the uterus around the time of the transfer. Several studies have shown that the uterus has contractions and that these contractions could cause expulsion of the transferred IVF embryos. If the contractions were reduced by acupuncture then that could be a mechanism for an improvement in IVF pregnancy rate.

Many patients have been told that they should use acupuncture for IVF because they will respond better to medication, get more eggs, get healthier eggs, or get higher pregnancy rates. Many women with specific problems such as high FSH levels or miscarriages have been promised that acupuncture will cure all these problems. To date, however, there is no objective data that backs up these claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment